- 15 La Tortilleria corn tortillas
- 1kg free-range pork shoulder or leg
- 100g achiote paste
- Juice of 2 oranges
- 3 tbsp white vinegar
- 2 tsp oregano dried
- ¼ onion, peeled and quartered
- 1 garlic clove
- Olsson's Salt to taste
- 1 habanero chilli, finely diced
- 3 radishes, finely sliced
- ½ red onion, finely sliced
- 60ml lime juice
- Combine achiote paste, orange juice, white vinegar, oregano, onion and garlic in a blender, adding salt to taste.
- Rub the marinade over the pork with your hands, ensuring all the meat is covered. Cover and place in the fridge overnight (if you have time). (Tip: You can cook in the slow cooker immediately after preparing, however note that this impacts flavour – it is worth the wait!).
- Place the pork and any excess marinade into the slow cooker and submerge with water to 2cm above the meat. Cook for 3 to 4 hours on a low setting. If you don’t have a slow cooker, place pork in an ovenproof dish and cover with baking paper and foil before cooking at 180oC for 2 to 2.5 hours. (Tip: You can tell it’s ready if you squeeze the meat and it falls apart).
Recipe & Photo by La Tortilleria