Our Peaches are lovely on their own but are just delectable in this Lavender Peach Upside Down Cake made by our very clever customer @inseasontoday.
I would give her a follow on Instagram if you are after some cooking inspiration!
Peaches and Lavender Upside Down Cake
- 60g unsalted butter
- ¼ cup ( 50g ) packed dark brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon culinary lavender flowers
- 3 large yellow peaches, stones removed and cut into wedges
- 2 egg yolks
- ½ cup ( 100g ) granulated white sugar
- 60ml full-fat milk
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup ( 130g ) plain cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 180C degrees (160C degrees fan forced).
- In an 8-inch ovenproof skillet set over medium heat, melt butter with brown sugar and cinnamon. Cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute or until sugar is dissolved. Remove pan from heat, sprinkle lavender flowers and arrange peach wedges in a single layer over brown sugar mixture.
- In a medium bowl, beat egg yolks and sugar with an electric mixer for 1 minute. Beat in the milk and vanilla.
- Add the flour, baking powder and salt. Beat until smooth.
- Pour batter over peaches. Transfer the skillet to oven and bake for 25 – 30 minutes or until cake springs back lightly when touched. Remove from oven and let cake cool for 5 minutes.
- Run a spatula along sides of pan to loosen cake. Carefully invert cake onto a serving platter and let cool completely before serving.
- Serve with a dollop of crème fraiche or whipped cream if desired.
If you don’t have an oven proof skillet, you can use an 8-inch cake pan. Melt the butter with the sugar and cinnamon in a small saucepan then pour onto cake pan. Proceed as per instructions.