Chocolate Carrot Slice with Cream Cheese and White Chocolate Frosting and Candied Carrots
• 250ml vegetable oil
• 3 eggs
• 185g (1 cup) brown sugar
• 1 ½ cups self-raising flour, sifted
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
• 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
• 100g grated dark chocolate
• 2 cups grated carrot ( about 2 medium carrots)
• 1/3 cup raw honey
For the topping
• 250g cream cheese
• 40g ( 1/3 cup) icing sugar
• 100g white chocolate, melted
For the candied carrots
• 1 large carrot, peeled
• 1 cup water
• 1 cup granulated sugar
1. To make candied carrots; Make carrot strips using a vegetable peeler. You will get about 15-20 strips.
2. Bring water and sugar to a boil in a medium heavy based saucepan over medium heat. Simmer carrot strips for 15 minutes. Drain in a strainer and let cool for 5 minutes. Keep in fridge until ready to use.
3. Preheat oven to 180C degrees (160C degrees fan-forced). Brush a 20 x 30 cm shallow tin with melted butter or oil. Line base and sides with baking paper.
4. Place oil, eggs and sugar in a large bowl. Whisk until well combined. Add the flour, cinnamon, soda and cocoa. Fold in the chocolate and stir until combined.
5. Stir in the grated carrots and honey until smooth. Pour into prepared tin and smooth surface. Bake for 40 minutes or until cake skewer comes out clean if inserted in the centre.
Cool cake completely before spreading with cream cheese topping and decorating with candied carrot strips.
6. To make the topping : Using electric beaters, beat cream cheese and sugar until creamy. Add melted chocolate and beat until light and fluffy.--