Roast beetroot and pumpkin salad with walnuts and rocket
An elegant and colourful salad, that perfectly balances the sweetness of roasted vegetables with the pepperiness of fresh rocket leaves and a zingy mustard dressing.
- A few handfuls of fresh rocket leaves
- A few handfuls of baby spinach leaves
- 1 bunch of baby beetroot
- A good-sized wedge of Kent pumpkin
- 1/4 -1/2 cup of walnuts (crush them a little)
- A really good handful of pepitas (pumpkin seeds) and toasted sunflower seeds (optional)
- About 2 tsp of seeded mustard
- About 2 tsp of maple syrup or agave nectar
- 1/2 teaspoon of sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- A good pinch of salt
- Pepper to taste
- About 2 teaspoons of balsamic vinegar
- About 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar
- Wash and wrap the baby beetroot individually in foil, then roast at 200 degrees C for about 30 minutes, until you can easily poke a knife through. Unwrap, then rinse under cold water (wear gloves!) and the skins should slide right off, or you can leave the skins on. Cut into small quarters.
- Slice the pumpkin into thin wedges (leaving the skin on will help the wedges keep their shape). Toss with a little olive oil and a pinch of salt, arrange on a baking tray and roast at the same time as the beetroot.
- Put the rocket and spinach in a serving bowl and, and top with the cooled beetroot and pumpkin. Sprinkle over the walnut and seeds, drizzle with the dressing, and serve immediately.
- Whisk all ingredients together, then taste and adjust the amount of maple syrup and vinegar to suit your palate.
Recipe by https://whyveg.com/